Monday, December 30, 2013

Unnakka chemmen chammanthi / Dry Prawns chutney


I wonder If there is Hereditary in taste buds.... it may be hereditary with regard to up bringing I guess , we have been fed with some of our family favorites food from childhood and these become our favorites too but there are exceptions like my younger brother who's a vegetarian though he was brought up in a very much non vegetarian family so its hard to conclude.
The reason for this thought here is that myself and my Achachen (Dad) loved this dish , Love to have it with "Kanji" / Rice porridge , takes me back home , am reminded very much of my childhood , dinner with my parents and siblings...

The best accompaniment for " Kanji "



Ingredients 


Dry Prawns - 1/2 cup (Heads removed)
Shallots/small Onion - 5- 6 no's
Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
Dry Red Chili - 2 no's (or red chili flakes - 1 tsp) optional 
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp (or more if not using the dry chili's)
Curry leaves - 1/2 spring 
Coconut oil - 1 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp ( or dry tamarind )
Salt to taste.

Method 

* Dry roast the prawns for 5 minutes in medium heat , add the shallots/small onion , dry red chili and roast it for another 5 minutes in low heat.


* Add coconut , curry leaves , coconut oil and red chili powder to it and roast for another 3 to 4 minutes in low heat , just to get the flavors out from all the ingredients.Do not over heat the coconut.


* Switch off the heat , add salt and tamarind paste to it , and sprinkling a little water to help grind it better , grind till it becomes a coarse paste and every thing holds together.


Have it with Keral Rice or Kanji 


 Today am @ my home in Kerala....

Cheers
TN






No comments:

Post a Comment