Monday, April 21, 2014

Simple Fish Fry (Kerala Style)


That was a long drive from Salt Lake City to Phoenix - Arizona , a visit to our friends house to celebrate Easter. 
An informative trip for me as , while on our way through the state of Arizona - saw some of 
 "Navajo Indians" - they are the federally recognized tribes of the United States , "Navajo language"  is spoken throughout the region , most of them would know to speak English as well. I had no idea till then about the lives of tribal people in US. 
The State with the Largest Navajo Populations are Arizona & New Mexico , they do mainly farming to earn their living.
As we were closer to the city of Phoenix - Arizona , those wild grown -  huge Cactus on the road sides were alarming.

Few of ' em bigger than a coconut tree 
I know I compare everything with  Kerala (My place)  and the things we see there most ...


After the trip , my things to do list for the day / week is never ending  as we have to shift our house this weekend  &  so I stopped thinking about it and started with my favorite pass-time - updating my blog for the time being let me enjoy my recently attained addiction :) 
While during the lent , I craved for some fish ...so I made it today, a simple and easy but very delicious Kerala Style fish fry 

Ingredients 


Fish - made it with Sear fish today , use any fish you like. - 4 to 6 pieces 
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chili Powder - 1/2 to 1 Tb Sp as per your preference (May use Paprika powder) 
Vinegar  - 2 Tbsp or else use Juice of 1 Lime 
Salt to taste 

Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp (Optional- makes its extra spicy) 
A few Curry leaves crushed  & 1/2 tsp Ginger - Garlic paste - Optional  

Oil to fry 
Onion and Lime to Garnish (Optional) 

Method 

* Clean and cut the fish into any desirable shape 

* Sprinkle over the fish pieces - salt , turmeric powder , Red Chilli powder and Black Pepper Powder (If using) , rub these spices well on the fish slices,  add vinegar or Lime juice and mix everything well. 
(May add Crushed curry leaves and Ginger -Garlic paste (if using) I didn't use it this time, 
 addition of the same makes it taste even better) 

* Keep this fish marinated for some time ( 10 minutes to 1 hour in the refrigerator) , may store this refrigerated till 3 days

*Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the same until both sides looks brown. (some people makes it crispy , make it crispy if using any small fishes with bones (like Sardines or Anchovies)  , usually for  fish with more flesh , frying it till just done is better) 



Garnish it with some sliced onion and lime. 

Some thing any Keralite would love to have ! 

And Picture of Pan seared Frog Legs 
  :) 


We tried in a Sea food restaurant in Phoenix 
Tastes similar like Chicken but more juicy.... 
You know what while we were enjoying it , I purposely forgot how Frogs look like and what creepy things they eat.
They had another specialty dish in their restaurant with " Alligator Meat " 
But I just couldn't keep myself from thinking about Alligators so didn't dare to try it. 

Cheers
TN 

No comments:

Post a Comment