Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mathanga Curry / Pumpkin Curry



I know this picture doesn't look that good as I wanted it to be , but you know what I was really hungry, thought to take a click after pouring it to rice - my meal ,  just one click and then I flurried on to my plate.

Didn't expect this when I kept pumpkin to cook and got engaged with some unloading and other organizing  work in this new home....Ran to the kitchen as I got  that charred pumpkin smell while in my bed room ..
Anxious as the smoke alarm will start its work anytime ...

Was determined to make it today  , as I liked its taste when I had it from my friends house last week ,  was waiting to settle things in this new house to try , hence kept the next batch of pumpkin  immediately. 

Ingredients


Pumpkin - 1 and 1/2 cup when chopped
Tomatoes - 1/2 medium chopped (Optional)
Ginger - 1/2 tsp finely chopped (Optional)
Green chili's - 2 to 4 no's slit (Adjust as per preference)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp

To Grind

Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Small Onions- 2to 4 no's (Optional)

For Tempering

Oil - Preferably coconut oil - 2 Tbsp
Small Onion - 2 to 4 no's sliced
Curry leaves - 1 or 2 springs and as usual I didn't have it
Dry Red chili's - 2 no's crushed

Method

* Cook pumpkin with tomatoes & Ginger (if using) , green chili's , turmeric powder , salt and enough water.
   Boil till nicely done (May use a pressure cooker to save time) Mash these cooked pumpkin using a spoon.

* Grind the ingredients given under grinding (coconut , cumin seeds and small onion) with little water, grind till smooth, pour this over the mashed pumpkin , stir and keep heat in low , cook for 3 to 5 minutes and switch off the heat.

*  Heat oil in an other pan, saute chopped small onion , curry leaves and Dry red chili's till brown. Pour this over the pumpkin curry and serve hot with any rice.



Notes :
          Use Ripe Pumpkins/Manthanga for best results , as then it gets mashed nicely and thickens the curry.
          May add some Mung Dal/ Mung Beans too if you like(It adds to the flavor and also makes it thick) cook'em first till done then add the the pumpkin mixture to it , follow the recipe given above.


Cheers
TN



No comments:

Post a Comment