Thursday, June 26, 2014

Kerala Jalebi Recipe/ Jangri / Imarthi Indian Sweet Recipe


After the usual rush-hour in the kitchen,sending my people to school and office respectively,  I can't wait to have my cup of tea , which boosts up my energy for the rest of the day.
Today I sat near my favorite window in the bedroom which has a view to our neighbor's beautiful garden ;)
 hey don't misinterpret me , that's just to enjoy the nature ;) while sipping my tea...
made sure I had all luxuries near me - laptop , phone and of course my cup of Tea
......relaxed I had my first sip

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee     NO SUGAR

Wonder why my better-half didn't let me know that I gave him sugarless Tea...what ever....

Done .......enjoying the nature and the tea for today :/

Anyways I have a sugary Indian dessert to share, that's my favorite sweet and we don't get it fresh here...so I make it every time I think about it.



A comparatively easy dessert though it seems to be difficult with its twisted look....
Have described in each step , the details be noted if trying to make Jalebi's for the first time.

Ingredients

Split Urad Dal - 1 cup
Sugar - 2 cups
Water - 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
Red or Orange - Food Color - a pinch
Lime Juice from 1/2 lime
May use a few drops of Rose Essence but I didn't use.
Oil for frying


* Soak Urad dal in water for 1/2 an hour, may use whole Urad dal if then do increase the soaking time.

* Boil sugar and water, let boil till it becomes a thick syrup, when its one thread consistency add lime juice and Rose essence (is using) , lime juice helps to prevent the sugar from crystallizing. Switch off the heat and keep the syrup aside.

* Drain water from the soaked Urad dal and transfer to a grinder/Mixer to grind it to a smooth paste. May Sprinkle few drops of water to make it grind easier, care should be taken not to pour more water as the batter should be very thick so that it will be easy to pipe it while frying.


* Grind it to a very smooth paste , rub the batter between your fingers to see if its nice and smooth, (this is important as the texture of the Jalebi depends on how nicely you grind the dal)


* Add food color to the batter and mix well. In a zip-lock bag, cut its tip to make a small hole and spoon in the batter, try piping the designs to a paper or on to another zip lock once or twice before you start making the Jalebi's.
 ( The hole in the zip lock bag shouldn't be too small nor too big, piping the designs first to a paper gives an idea how your Jalebi's would come out)


* Heat oil in a frying pan , once the oil is very hot, lower the heat and pipe Jalebi's designs  to the hot oil.(If the oil is too hot the jalebi's would bubble up and float immediately as you start piping it and then it will be hard to make the designs hence keep the oil in medium - low heat, See Notes below for related YouTube links on how to pipe the Jalebi Design's.



* Should wait to get'em cooked nicely on each sides (about 1 to 2 minutes on each side if the oil is in medium-low heat , also shouldn't over fry'em as then it wouldn't absorb the sugar syrup and will be very crisp, also tends to get dried easily)

* Once it looks done , drain the Jalebi's and Dip each Jalebi's  in the sugar syrup for few minutes  and transfer to a plate.


*  Make the rest of the Jalebi's.


 - when cooled to room temperature store'em in an air tight container (May refrigerate these for longer shelf life)


Notes :
          *  Making the Jalebi Design's click Youtube link here.

          * Watch another YouTube Video  here to get a better idea of making Jalebi's, I had watched this video before trying it and it helped me too

          * If you find it hard to make the shapes , make some circle's initially , anyways its going to taste the same and the credit is always there as you are making it at home :)

Cheers
TN

No comments:

Post a Comment