Thursday, September 18, 2014

Oats Puttu


"Puttu" the most popular Breakfast Item in Kerala, though I personally doesn't prefer this dish.
The reason for my dislike is that I took almost 3 years to prepare this with all its goodness.
Being Soccer Man's most liked BF Dish, I tried all possible ways to make it , lot many times during the initial months after our marriage ...but my desperate trial to get hubby's approval and appreciation didn't work anyway and then I remember at some point I decided to never try making it in my life.


Sounds funny right ???This would be a joke to anybody who makes "Puttu" I know as this is one of the most easiest break fast item, still I took 3-4 years to successfully make it at home. 
And at last I realized that the "Puttu -Kuthi " / Puttu Maker-or steamer which I was using at that time had some defects which stopped steam from letting in and hence it didn't get completely cooked and
 I had no clue about it :)


It was during my visit to our relatives house In CA that I had this " Oats Puttu " and  believe me this  tastes  even better than the usual Rice puttu and lot more nutritious too


Ingredients 


Oats - 2 cups 
Hot water - 1/2 (Approx) 
Salt - to taste 
Grated Coconut - 2 Tb Sp  (Approx)

Method 

* Either dry roast oats in medium to high heat for 5 to 8 minutes stirring vigorously or else bake these on a flat baking tray for 5 to 10 minutes in 350 Degree F, this helps to grind'em easier and also saves time while cooking. Once done cool these.


* Grind to powder (Make it fine or coarse powder as per your preference)



* Keep water to boil in a Puttu steamer , its good to add 1 or 2 crushed garlic and some Fennel seeds to the water , as then the Puttu will have nice aroma. 

* Add salt and water slowly to the Oats powder and mix to lightly wet'em , combine to make a crumby mixture. 
   To test its consistency, take little of the mixture in your hands , try to shape it, it should hold its shape and should break once slightly pressed. Cover and keep this mixture for some time (15 to 20 minutes , the longer it sits its good) 

* In a puttu maker or any steamer , place some grated coconut first and layer with the oats mixture, may repeat to make multiple layers. and steam these for 5 to 10 minutes as done for regular Puttu.


* These are traditionally served with Kadala Curry / Curry with Chick Peas / Black Channa. Though I like to have it with nice ripe banana and sugar. 



If making these for the first time , do check the steamer once again......

 ;) 



Cheers
TN

No comments:

Post a Comment