Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Egg Roast


We enjoyed our long weekend siting at home this time,
but  one day I woke up very early in the morning after a frightening dream of "Snakes"
may be because the day before I had discussed about Snakes to my Sister in Law who just delivered a baby and now having her Postpartum care , which in Kerala is usually 28 days of massage - bath with combination of Ayurvedic medicines for rejuvenation. 
Usually the massage and bath happens in a shed / temporary bathroom set-up in the back yard. 
A Massage bath enjoying the nature, is no doubt a beautiful experience,but sometimes the nature is so close to us as these scary living beings like "Snakes" interferes  ;) 
Worst part  of it is the wait period when we have to sit with all the Ayurvedic -Oil applied, 
I remember when I had the same, I had much stress looking around every nook and corner of that bathroom watching for these creepy living beings as "Running out" is not possible in that situation, you can imagine why :) 
And on the last day, what I feared the most happened, got out to see a Snake just outside the bathroom,  one among those instances in my life when " My Heart came in to my Mouth "  
Glad that I saw it after my bath or else it would have turned out to be a dramatic seen ;)
as we have neighbors living very close to us :)  


So that's how I woke up very early in the morning last weekend, thought to start the day bright with some Egg Roast .
Was wanting to post these spicy Egg Roast Recipe in this blog from the time I started it
 Hence made Egg Roast first then sat to think what to have with it, usually its enjoyed with  "Puttu" / "Idiyappom" / Ari Pathiri / Malabar Pathiri / Kerala Appom or any Rice based main dish.
 
& we had it with Idiyappom / Kerala Style Rice Noodles. 


Ingredients 


Eggs - 3 (because I have only 3 members in my family, use more as per need ) 
Onion - 1 Large, sliced
Tomato - 2 Medium ,finely chopped 
Curry Leaves - 1 to 2 springs 
Ginger and Garlic - 2 tsp each finely chopped or crushed 
Green Chili's - 1 (Optional)
Fennel Seeds - 2 tsp 
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder Or Paprika - 2 tsp (Adjust as per your reference)
Coriander Powder - 2 Tsp 
Coconut Oil - 2 Tb Sp 
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp ,I used freshly ground Spices(Recipe Follows) , 
                                                  may use Store-bought Masala Powder.


For Garam Masala (Kerala Style)

Dry roast till warm - Fennel seeds - 2 TB Sp 
                                  Black Pepper Corns - 1 tsp 
                                  Cardamom - 4 to 6 No's 
                                  Cinnamon Stick - 1 Inch Size Stick 
                                  Cloves - 3 to 5 No's 

Use a Coffee Grinder/Small Grinder to powder it and store in an air tight container.

Method 

* Boil Eggs, peel and keep aside.

* Heat Oil in a pan , add fennel seeds, when it starts to crackle, add Ginger , Garlic crushed and sliced Onion , Saute till the onions looks lightly brown , then add finely chopped tomatoes and curry leaves and saute again , cook till the oil starts to separate. 
* Add then the powders (turmeric powder , coriander Powder , Red Chili Powder or Paprika) and saute well 
* Add about 1/2 cup , allow the curry to thicken up a bit (Its a dry dish hence I made it with less water , if you like it watery add more water or else add Coconut Milk) 

*When it reaches the required consistency, sprinkle Garam Masala and place the the boiled Eggs in to the gravy.


Enjoy Spicy Egg Roast.

 
Cheers
TN 

No comments:

Post a Comment