Friday, April 17, 2015

Uzhunnu Vada / Medhu Vada / Fried Lentil Dumplings


Since Easter I am busy enjoying some non vegetarian food
though I have the guilt of having it each time I enjoy it,of late I have lost my control over my taste buds as its over powering the guilt in me.
Also  I am disappointed with the weather here :(
I was in a mood to write about the Spring Season,
but the sudden change in climate was indeed disappointing,
as I believe that Spring is a Season of colors and and it bring with it a good spirit of "Hope"


But quiet deceiving was how it looked and felt this time,
In Malayalam (My mother tongue) we call it "Chathi"  I don't know the apt word for it in English , may call it  "Betrayal" or something,  as that was what I experienced this time.
I started loving my budding plants I sowed early this month, was waiting to see the flowers and those vibrant colors which donates a positive energy, those tiny leaves started spreading freshness,
making my home more lively,
but yesterday when I woke up,
everything was - gone with the wind !


But somehow NA's plants are saved , it was lying indoor,at least she's not disappointed on her first trial.


May be its because of my imperfect perception about the weather here,
whatever the reason may be I am at present very disappointed :(


Anyways hope you all enjoyed Easter and Vishu.
One of the change which happened to me after starting this blog is the significance I tend to give for all the known festival no matter the religion or who celebrates it, I find some happiness in being part of it, satisfaction of prioritizing small things in life for the good being the end result.


Here is the recipe for Uzhunnu Vada/Medhu Vada, its a very popular fried snack in India.
Crispy on the outside but soft and flavorful inside  is how this snack is, texture wise,
 though a little tricky as its shape seems, the only difficulty is to make the hole in it, which can be done only with the required consistency of the batter.


Ingredients

Urad Dal /Uzhunnu - 1 cup
Rice Flour - 2 tbsp
Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
Green Chili's - 3 to 5 no's (adjust as per your preference)
Whole Black Pepper crushed - 1/2 tsp
Ginger crushed and chopped finely - 1 Tbsp
Curry Leaves - 1 or 2 springs
Salt to taste
Oil for frying.

Method

* Soak Urad dal in water for sometime(atleast 45 minutes (I used split urad dal, which gets soft sooner than the whole Urad dal) Soak up to 2 hours if its whole Urad Dal.


* Drain away water from the soaked Urad dal and grind it adding  pepper and salt to it, add not more than 1 to 3 tbsp of water to help grinding it easy, but its better not to add any water.
 Keep in warm place for it to get fermented a bit, at least 5 hour's.
May fry these within 1 hour time, but the texture does vary, the more it sits, its texture when fried matures and becomes nice and crispy on the outside and soft inside.



* Add all the other ingredients to the fermented batter and mix thoroughly to combine, add rice flour l (purpose is to make it thick in consistency, hence add accordingly).



*Heat oil in any frying pan to deep fry these, when the oil is really hot reduce the heat to medium, dip your palm in water before placing the batter, place 2 Tbsp(approx) of the thick batter, to make a flat round, dip your point finger of your other hand in water and make a hole in the middle of the batter taken, slowly slide the vada into hot oil.



* Fry each Vada's accordingly , till each sides looks golden brown and crispy on the outside.


* Drain it to any paper towel and enjoy it with Coconut Chutney.




Notes :
           - The hole's are made to easily cook it in the inside, as otherwise it takes longer to cook, if you find it difficult to make it, simply fry small balls (with 1 tbsp) of the batter.
            Initially I used to find it difficult, so I used to make space in the middle using the back side of a spoon after placing the batter in the hot oil, the hole's never used to look good but its purpose was met.

           - Batter stays in the refrigerator for up to 3 days , store in air tight containers.
           - Watch Video in Youtube - Mia's Kitchen Recipe for Medhu Vada / Uzhunnu Vada, if planning to make these.
          

Cheers
TN

No comments:

Post a Comment