Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Home made (Yellow) Jalebi Recipe & Happy Diwali


Since India is celebrating one of her biggest festival "Diwali" today,
I was determined to make some thing sweet, which is compulsorily made in all houses celebrating "Diwali" This being my second Diwali after I started blogging in full pace, I decided to make Yellow Jalebi" making of which is little tricky I must write :/
and am not very satisfied by the way it looks :(
last year I made Boondi Ladoo, which I felt was far easier to make.
To make these all you need is patience, but am sure If I can make it, any body else can do it easily :D
as I believe I am among the list of impatient people,
though am trying to improve :(


Referred many blogs and you-tube links before making these,
found the recipe in vegrecipesofindia.com  very descriptive, click link for her Jalebi recipe.
I made some changes to the recipe above to reduce the fermentation time.



Here's how I made it.

Ingredients 

Maida/All purpose flour - 1 cup
Corn flour - 1 tbsp
Besan /Gram flour - 2 tbsp
Fast acting Yeast - 1/2 tsp (Optional, instead use Soda powder)
Sugar - 1 tsp (use only if using yeast)
Salt - a pinch
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Thick curd - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (Approx, I used 2-3 tbsp more)
Oil - for frying

For Sugar syrup 

Sugar - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Lime juice - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom or  saffron threads - few

Method 

Optional -   * Heat 2 tbsp water till warm and add 1 tsp sugar to it, mix well and then add yeast, keep for 5 to 7 minutes in warm place to activate yeast. This step is for those who intend to use Yeast, may add Soda powder instead.

   * Mix together Maida + Besan + Corn Flour + turmeric powder + curd + 1/2 cup water+activated Yeast mixture (if using)  Mix well using a spoon for 4-6 minutes until the batter looks smooth (not too thick not too thin in consistency) If using Soda Powder instead of yeast, add it just before frying.


*  keep these for fermentation for at least 6 hour's, (taste best if kept for longer time)

Batter after its kept for 6 hour's to ferment. 


* To make Sugar syrup, boil water and sugar, to bring it to one string consistency, when it reaches the required thickness add lime juice & crushed cardamom. May add color or Saffron to this syrup, saffron would give a light yellow color naturally, but I didn't have the same so used color, which made my Jalebi look brown :(

* Heat Oil in a frying pan, bring to  high heat initially then turn the heat to medium-high heat, temperature of the oil determines how your jalebi's would look like (color and shape) as its hard to make those shapes if the oil is really hot, hence regulate the temperature accordingly.

* Beat the batter once again,add 1 to 3 tbsp water to the batter if it looks thick after fermentation (Batter shouldn't be too thin) transfer'em to a piping bag/ or use any squeezable ketchup bottle's,try piping'em to a paper before frying. Start frying the same 2 to 3 minutes on both sides, I like my jalebi's to be little crispy so I fried it for little more time.

* Making perfect round shapes for these jalebi's was not easy, but after frying few shapeless jalebi's,
I learned the trick, anyways shapeless jalebi's also taste equally good so its fine ;)

* Dip these fried Jalebi's in sugar syrup for 1 to 2 minutes and place them on to a flat plate. If planning to keep for more days, store in air tight containers and refrigerate.



Enjoy !


Wishing you all a very Happy and Blessed Diwali :)

Cheers
TN


No comments:

Post a Comment